Mini Salmon, Ham and Egg Tarts
These beautiful little morsels will put a very large smile on Dad’s face this Father’s Day…and you can sneak in one or two for yourself as well – chef’s treat! They really are divine. Pair them up with a nice breakfast cuppa, perhaps a pain au chocolat or a yummy fruit salad for breakfast pudding, and you will be well on the way to impressing. Whether you have remembered to buy him a present or not…
Simple but unbelievably delicious! Try not to eat them all before you serve Dad his breakfast in bed…
- 300 g pancetta – or good quality ham
- 300 g smoked salmon
- 18 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt (good quality mineral salt, definitely not the table kind…!)
- 12 tartlet cases (most supermarkets sell these, especially the likes of Waitrose. You can make the pastry from scratch if you like… but then you will have to buy small tartlet moulds, so this is the simplified version… you can pull all the stops out for Mother’s Day instead!)
- Finely chop the salmon and ham and put to one side.
- Boil the water and add the salt then gently pop in your eggs. You may find it easier to boil them in two batches… You’re going for hard-boiled here, so a good 6 minutes (per batch of eggs) should give you perfect results.
- When the eggs are ready, leave them to cool before attempting to remove the shells. Grate or mash the egg, then put it aside until needed for the tart filling.
- Mix together the chopped salmon and ham with the mayonnaise until well incorporated.
- Now fill the tartlets with the salmon and ham mix, followed by a healthy serving of the egg and an optional garnish of parsley.